ASU2 stands for Award Specific Unit 2 and, for students like me on the Moving Image and Sound MA, is all about sound creation and perception. The unit “encourages you to critique key aspects of the creation and perception of sound in relation to moving images, and aims to provide you with hands-on conceptual and technical skills relevant to the creation of original audio-visual work.”
There is no Research Report for this module, instead, we will be creating a Learning Agreement and a Reflective Journal. This will be supported by a body of practical work and related research material which demonstrates both the research and development of ideas along with the finished outcomes.
The unit schedule is listed below, however, it should be noted that the majority of our tutorials consisted of sitting in The Playhouse and discussing our ongoing work for the exhibition, and the only useful session in the unit was week 8 (which was not as planned). As such, I haven’t bothered doing posts for some weeks because 98% of this module has been self study.
- Week 1 (26/01/17): Unit Briefing
- Week 1 (28/01/17): Personal Research 1 – Ideas
- Week 2 (02/02/17): Listening In The Field
- Week 2 (03/02/17): Sound Workshop
- Week 2 (04/02/17): Personal Research 2 – More Ideas
- Week 3 (09/02/17): Learning Agreement Proposals
- Week 4 (16/02/17): Group Tutorial
- Week 5 (23/02/17): Personal Research 3 – Sound Effects
- Week 6 (02/03/17): Hidden Sound Worlds
- Week 7 (09/03/17): Interdisciplinary Group Tutorial 1
- Week 8 (16/03/17): Sound Studio Induction & Foley Work
- Week 9 (23/03/17): Group Tutorial
- Week 10 (30/03/17): Interdisciplinary Group Tutorial 2
- Week 11 (06/04/17): Personal Research 4 – Industry Context
- Week 14 (27/04/17): ASU2 Public Exhibition
- Week 15 (04/05/17): Deadline / Unit Review
My body of work for assessment is also online here.